Move-away Dispute

Parental Relocation Lawyers

Heated disputes often arise after a divorce when a custodial parent decides to move to another part of the state or to another state altogether. If you are a custodial parent or noncustodial parent involved in a move-away dispute, it is important that you consult with an attorney to ensure that your rights are protected.

For help in Orange County, contact Bohm Wildish, LLP today. We offer experienced representation in a wide range of family law matters, including custody, visitation and move-away disputes.

California Law

In California, a custodial parent who wishes to move to another location (of sufficient distance) must provide notice to the noncustodial parent. A custodial parent who moves without providing notice could potentially face very serious consequences.

Once a noncustodial parent has received notice of a custodial parent’s intent to move, he or she has a limited time to file a motion with the court to stop the proposed move. A California court has the power to prohibit a custodial parent from moving to a new location with the minor children. As with all other custody and visitation cases involving a minor child, the court will consider the best interests of the child as the paramount factor in making its determination.

Put Our Experience to Work for You

Attorney Sherry Graybehl D’Antony heads our family law practice. Attorney D’Antony is certified as a family law specialist by the State Bar of California. She has been handling divorce and family law cases for more than 25 years.

Contact a Family Law Attorney

To speak with one of our Orange County move-away disputes lawyers, contact Bohm Wildish, LLP in Costa Mesa, California. For assistance, call 714-384-6500.